COUNTY ROSTER.
Stephenson County was created by an act of the Legislature, promulgated March 4, 1837, its organization provided for, and the seat of justice established at Freeport, by a Board of Commissioners. composed of Minor York, of Ogle, and Vance L. Davidson and Isaac Chambers. ofJo Daviess Counties. A meeting of the Commissioners was held at the house of William Baker, on the first Monday of May following, whereat the organization was perfected, and an election held for the following county officers: Sherif. Coroner, Surveyor, three County Commissioners and one Clerk of the County Commissioners' Court, who were to hold their offices until the next succeeding general elections, and until their successors are elected and qualified.
The subjoined is a list of the first county officers, together with those who succeeded the subsequent vacancies :


Sheriffs.—William Kirkpatrick, 1837; Hubbard Graves, 1833; Oliver W. Brewster, 1840 ; Joseph McCool, 1842 ; 0. W. Brewster, 1844-46 ; F A. Strockey, 1848.
Coroner.—Lorenzo Lee, 1837 ; B. R. Wilmot, 1838 ; Lorain Snow, 1840; Henry W. Hollenbeck, 1841; Isaac S. Forbes, 1842 ; W. Patterson, 1844 ; Henry W. Foster. 1846 ; Abel Smith, 1848.
Surveyor.—Frederick D. Bulkley, from 1837 to 1842 ; A. Chamberlain, 1848 ; no record in 1844,- 1845. 1846 ; M. Montelius, 1847.

Commissioners.L. W. Streator. Isaac S. Forbes and Julius Smith. 1837 ; L. W. Streator, Robert McConnell and John Moore, 1838; Thomas Van Valzah, 1839 ; J. Cory and B. R. Wilmot, 1840 ; Hubbard Graves and Alfred Cad-well. 1841; James T. Smith and George Reitzell, 1842; Joseph Musser, 1843; Ezekiel Brown, 1844 ; Samuel F. Dodds, 1845 ; Abner B. Clingman, 1846 ; John Bradford. 1847 ; Gustavus A. Farwell, 1848.

County Clerk.-0. H. Wright, 1837 no returns for 1838 ; 0. H. Wright. from 1839 to 1846.

Assessor and Treasurer.L. 0. Crocker. 1837-40.

Assessors.-0. W. Brewster, 1841-42 ; Chancellor Martin, 1843 ; A. W. Rice, 1844-47.

Probate Judges.-0. H. Wright, 1838-41; Thomas J. Turner, 1842-45 ; Seth B. Farwell, 1846 ; 0. W. Williams. 1847.

Clerks County Commissioners' Court.—W. H. Hollenbeck, 1837 ; W. P. Hunt, 1838 ; W. H. Hollenbeck, 1839-42 ; William Preston, from 1843 to 1847.

Collectors.John R. Howe,; John Gordon, 1840 ; 0. W. Brewster, 1841-47 ; F. A. Strockey, 1848.

State Senators.—George W. Harrison, 1838; J. A. Mitchell, 1842; L. P. Sanger, 1846-48.

Rouse of Representatives.—Germanicus Kent. 1838; Thomas Drummond. 1840; William Preston, 1842; G. Purinton. 1844; L. H. Bowen. 1846; L. EL Bowen, 1847 ; A. Eads, 1848.

School Commissioners.--John Rice, 1841: Jared Shcetz, 1843: L. W. Guiteau, 1845-47.

Treasurer.—L. 0. Crocker, 1841-42 ; Chancellor Martin, 1843 : A. W. Rice. 1844-7.

Recorder.—J. W. Bulkley, 1843 ; John A. Clark, 1845-17

.
It should be stated that prior to the election, of November, 1849. the county was under what is known as " the county organization." Thereafter it came under township organization. and the following is the list of officers who have served :

County Judge.—George Purinton, 1849; John Coates, 1853; W. M. Buckley, 1857; Talcott Ormsbee, 1861; Charles B. Wright, 1863-65; Andrew Hinds 1869; Henry C. Hyde, 1873-77.

County Clerk.—W. Preston, 1849; J. J. Rogers, 1863—died in office. and David H. Sunderland, elected to the vacancy at a special election. holden June 4, 1855. David H. Sunderland 1857-61; George Thompson, 1865; George Thompson, 1869 ; I. F. Kleckner. 1873-77.

County Justices of the Peace..—L. Gibler and G. W. Andrews, 1850.

County Treasurer.—Jonathan Reitzell, 1849; W. M. Buckley, 18.53 ; Andrew Hinds, 1855; W. S. Gray, 1857-61; William Youno, 1863-65; Robert T. Cooper, 1869-71; Oliver P. McCool, 1873-75; Charles F. Goodhue, 1877—removed in October, 1878, and Wallace W. Hutchison succeeded to the vacancy at a special election held in November of the same year : re-elected at the general election for county officers, holden Nov. 4, 1879.

County Surveyor.—Marcus Carter, 1849; B. Dornblazer, 1853-57 ; C. T. Dunham, 1859; William 0. Saxton, to fill vacancy, 1860; W. Peters, 1861-63 ; Christopher T. Dunham, 1865-69; Samuel J. Dodds, 1871 ; F. E. Josel, 1875 ; Hiram Shons, 1879.

School Commissioners.—J. B. Smith, 1849 ; John Barfoot. 1852 ; F. W. S. Brawley, 1853-55 ; Henry Freeman. 1857 ; H. C. Burchard. 1859 ; A. A. Crary, 1861-63.
The title to the office changed to County Superintendent of Schools—A. A. Crary, 1865 ; Isaac F. Kleckner, 1869 ; Johnson Potter. 1873; Adam A. Krape, 1877.
Senators.—The Senatorial District was originally composed of the counties of Stephenson, Carroll and Jo Daviess, with one Senator and three Representatives—one from each county. This continued until the adoption of the constitution in 1870.

The Senators were Hugh Wallace, 1850 John H. Adams: 1854, re-elected, 1858-62 and 1866; James M. Hunter and Dr. Little, 1870. Henry Green, 1872 ; R. H. McClellan, 1876.
Representatives.—B. B. Howard, 1850; C. B. Denio, 1852; T. J. Turner, 1854; J. A. Davis, 1856; J. A. Davis, 1858; John F. Ankeney, 1860; Horatio C. Burchard, 1862-64 ; Joseph M. Bailey, 1866-68 ; Thomas J. Turner and William Massenberg, 1870; E. L. Cronkrite and J. S. Taggart, 1872-74 ; E. L. Cronkrite, 1876 ; J. I. Neff and Andrew Hinds, 1878.

Sheriffs.—Peter D. Fisher, 1850; George Reitzell, 1852; Isaac Kleckner, 1854 ; J. W. Shaffer, 1856 ; C. F. Taggart, 1858 ; J. W. Shaffer, 1860; W. W. Robey, 1862; Jeremiah J. Piersol, 1864; W. W. Robey, 1866: John R. Hayes, 1868 ; John R. Hayes, 1870 J. J. Pierso1,1872-74 : Jesse Leigh, 1876-78.
Coroner.—Isaac Bechtol, 1850 ; George H. Hartsough, 1852; Abel Smith, 1854: Samuel McAfee, 1856 B. P. Belknap. 1857, to fill vacancy : John Washburn. 1858; Levi A. Meese. 1862 ; W. W. Robey, 1864; F. A.-Darling. 1866: Caspar Schultz, 1868; Christian M. Hildebrand. 1869; Jeremiah J. Dean, 1870-78.

Circuit Judges.—The Circuit Court first held its sessions on the 26th day of August. 1839, the Hon. Daniel Stone presiding. In the winter of 1840, an act was passed by the General Assembly, abolishing the Circuit Court system, and providing that the duties incident thereto should be discharged by the Judges of the Supreme Court.

This was continued until the fall of 1848, when the Circuit Court system was revived, and has since obtained with the following Justices: Daniel Stone, 1839 : Thomas C. Brown. 1841; Benjamin B. Sheldon. 1849 to March, 1870; William Brown, the present incumbent. In 1877,

Stephenson County was included in the Thirteenth Circuit, the same consisting of the counties of Jo Daviess, Stephenson. Winnebago, Carroll, Ogle, Whiteside and Lee.

For this circuit three Judges were elected—J. M. Bailee. William Brown and John V. Eustace. Bailey was appointed Justice of the .Appellate Court, and the duties of his circuit are discharged by Justices Brown and Eustace, though Judge Bailey assists when not engaged on the Appellate bench.


Clerks Circuit Court. —John A. Clark, from 1839 to 1852 ; Joseph B. Smith, to 1856 ; Luther W. Guiteau, to 1860 ; John W. Shaffer, to November 0,1863, resigned and Edward P. Hodges appointed to the vacancy ; subsequently elected to the office for four years from 1864 : 'William Polk, to 1812 ; Aaron W. Hall, 1876 ; D. S. Brewster, present incumbent.
State's Attorney.—Sheldon L. Hall. 1839 ; Thomas J. Turner, 1846 ; H. B. Stillman, 1847-50 ; Orrin S. Miller, 1851-52 ; William Brown, to 1860 ; S. D. Atkins, to 1864; F. C. Ingalls, to 1868 ; D. W. Jackson, to 1872 ; J. S. Cochran. the pesent incumbent.

 

History of Stephenson County-1880

 

 

 

©2008/2009 Wini Caudell and contributors

All rights reserved

Illinois Ancestors