The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Swedish Evangelical Lutheran church of Monmouth was organized in 1859 by Rev. T. N. Hasselquist, D. D. , then of Galesburg, who had been holding meetings with the Swedish people of the city at times as early as 1852 and 1853.
Among the members were John Beck, Mons . Cassel, A. Nelson, Louis Nelson, James Olson, James Skibber, Olof Johnson, T. Swensson, Jorgen Hansen and their families. Occa sional services were held in private houses by Dr. Hasselquist until 1866, then by Rev. A. W. DaKlstien, also of Galesburg until 1868. The church was reorganized February 2, 1862, and by the next year had a membership of about sixty. For the next year or two preaching services were held in the court house, the basement of the Presbyterian church and in the second story of John Beck's shoe store.
In 1870 a church building was erected on West First avenue and South B street at a cost of $1,600. It was remodeled during the summer of 1893, and rededicated on August 16 of that year. The sermon was preached by Rev. N. Nordgren of Galva , Illinois . The property is valued at $5,000 and the congregation also owns a parsonage. Among the pastors have bsen: Mr. N. Nordling, a layman; Rev. C. Walleen, Rev. A. W. Holmgren, Rev. Elias Peterson, Mr. L. Swanson, Prof. O. Olson, Rev. J. Floren, and the present pastor, Rev. August Johnson. Mr. Johnson came in September, 1887, and the church has prospered under his charge. It has a present membership of 230.
History of Swedes in Illinois
Submitted by the Webmaster
©Wini Caudell and Contributors
All Rights Reserved